The Territory Government has released the NT’s first ever Renewable Hydrogen Strategy to turn our natural competitive advantages into clean, permanent local jobs.
As the international community seeks innovative ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, there is a growing demand for clean, reliable and flexible energy solutions like hydrogen.
Hydrogen has many advantages as an energy store and carrier. It can be manufactured with zero emissions, is energy dense and can be stored and efficiently transported, and it can be converted to heat through combustion or to electricity in a fuel cell, without creating any greenhouse gas emissions.
The Territory is well placed to position itself at the forefront of the developing renewable hydrogen industry with large areas of land with high solar irradiance, close proximity to export markets, an established world-scale energy production and export industry and a commitment to net-zero emissions by 2050.
There is the potential for hydrogen production, export and adoption to generate significant jobs and investment in the Territory, much of which could be in regional areas and provide opportunities for Aboriginal landowners and custodians.
The strategy outlines a five point hydrogen plan for government and industry to work together:
- Local industry development – preparing industry capabilities, logistics and supply chains to facilitate the adoption of renewable hydrogen
- Resource management – investigate how to optimise the Territory’s resources and infrastructure to facilitate hydrogen industry development
- Grow and harness demand – promote the Territory as an attractive export hub and investigate domestic hydrogen applications to build demand
- Support innovation – incorporate new ways of researching, trialling and adapting emerging technologies to optimise hydrogen opportunities
- Responsive regulation – establish effective regulatory frameworks for the development of a safe and efficient hydrogen industry
The Territory’s strategy complements the Australian National Hydrogen Strategy to develop a clean, innovative, safe and competitive hydrogen industry that benefits all Australians.
The strategy can be found at https://business.nt.gov.au/hydrogen-strategy
Quotes from Minister for Renewables, Energy and Essential Services, Dale Wakefield
“This Labor Government understands the enormous potential our renewable energy resources have to create permanent local jobs for Territorians.
“We can be a leader in the world transition to renewable hydrogen and this strategy provides the vision and the plan to make it happen.
“The strategy complements our record of delivering more renewables, taking real action on climate change, and the strongest protections for water and our environment the Territory has ever seen.
“Only Labor has the plans and record to ensure we create local jobs and secure our unique environment for generations to come.”